Ever since we got the sequel to Speedyr, which is called Speedyr 2, it’s been one thing after another. First, there was the game’s release — which was actually two weeks before Christmas in 2012 — followed by console and handheld versions, along with the inevitable Apple TV and Android TV versions. Since then, it’s been a steady stream of DLC, including the recent Crash Day event that added an entire planet and its inhabitants to the game. While we appreciate all of the content that’s been added to Speedyr 2 over the past four years, it’s clear that some fans want more. What they really want is orbs!
Well, they can’t have them, but they do want to know how to get them. So here’s your guide.
Take Your Time
The first step to getting orbs in Speedway Spyro 2 is taking your time. As we mentioned above, there have been a lot of DLC updates and expansion packs added to the game over the past four years, and it shows. If you want to get the most out of your playtime with the game, give it some time. You’ll get there eventually. Let the game grow on you and you’ll see it in a whole new light. Or, at least, a new layer. Because it is a really deep game.
The next step is to collect everything. There are 10 different power cores hidden around the level, and each one of them is needed to activate a special machine that drops the orbs. Without going into too much detail, here’s what you need to know:
- The machine for the red orbs is at the end of the third stage of the level. You have to fly through the level to get there.
- The machine for the orange orbs is on the second stage of the level. You have to walk through a door and then turn right to find it.
- The machine for the yellow orbs is next to a fence near the start of the level. You need to find the key to open the gate so you can get to it.
- The machine for the blue orbs is on the first stage of the level. It’s right next to the door that you have to open to reach the next platform.
- The machine for the green orbs, while similar to the previous one, is a bit more challenging. It’s also in a little different place. You need to find the eye of a giant frog to activate it.
- The machine for the white orbs is at the end of the second stage of the level. You have to search for it in a corner of the level.
- The machine for the platinum orbs is at the end of the first stage of the level. You have to fly through the level to get there.
- The machine for the diamond orbs is inside a small building on the second stage of the level. You have to search for it in the level’s corner before you can reach it.
- The machine for the golden orbs, as the name would suggest, is at the end of the level. You can’t miss it; it’s in the middle of the screen when you’re playing.
- And finally, the machine for the elusive black orbs is found at the end of the eighth stage of the game. You have to complete a challenge where you race opponents with different colored cars to find it.
It’s not easy finding all of these power cores, and that’s what makes this game so much fun. As you complete each stage of the game, you’ll receive a nice little golden orb to add to your collection. While you’re going through the game, you’ll also notice that it gets progressively harder as you go along. Once you’ve completed the game, you’ll see that it’s one of the few games that actually get harder as you go through it. The only way to beat it is by getting all of the orbs and using all of the special machines.
Use The Helpers
Now that you have all of the orbs, it’s time to put them to use. The first step is to help the aliens by using all of the machines that you found. As we mentioned above, there are 10 different power cores hidden around the level, and each one of them is needed to activate a special machine that drops the orbs. While it’s great that the game rewards you with orbs for collecting them, it’s still a bit tedious to find them all and put them in the right order. Thankfully, there’s a better way. When you get to the end of the game, you’ll see a little padlocked chest. Inside that padlocked chest are 10 holographic notes. Each note will tell you which core is needed to activate which machine. Simply click on the note, and a yellow ring around the orb will appear, indicating that it’s now active.
As you complete each stage of the game, you’ll receive a holographic note telling you which core is needed for which machine. Once you’ve completed the game, you’ll see that it’s one of the few games that actually get harder as you go through it. The only way to beat it is by getting all of the orbs and using all of the special machines.
Level Up To Get More Orbs
Once you have all of the orbs, it’s time to upgrade. To do this, you need to complete various challenges, which usually involve killing aliens or protecting the earth from their invasion. Doing these challenges will not only give you more orbs, but it’ll also make the game a bit easier. Believe it or not, but some people actually get bored playing the same game over and over again, especially when there are bugs that make the game frustratingly hard. In these cases, it’s better to just restart and try again than to keep playing. Especially when the game keeps adding more and more content.
Watch Out For The Bosses
The last thing anyone wants to do is face off with a boss monster. Believe it or not, these creatures are actually pretty clever. They’re not like the mindless minions that you usually fight at the beginning of the game. The bosses usually have a way of guarding their nests and preventing access while they’re in the middle of laying their eggs. This also means that they’re usually a bit more powerful than the regular aliens, and thus the reason why they’re often used to test your mettle. Some of these creatures are so big that even if you do beat them down, there’s a good chance that they’ll just regenerate and come back stronger than before.
Because of all of this, make sure that you take extra care when facing off with the bosses. Use all of the gadgets at your disposal (from the simple slingshot to the gravitar grenades) and try to trick them. Don’t forget, they’re still just aliens and you’re just a kid, so you can still use your wits to beat them. Plus, don’t get too confident. Even if you think that you’ve beaten a certain boss, stop and look again. There’s always a chance that they’ve somehow been upgraded since the last time you faced them. This is especially hard to determine when dealing with giant insects, but even small worms can change the rules of the game completely.
If you’re wondering how much all of this has changed the game, don’t worry. Even after all of this, the game is still relatively easy to understand (and thus, still fun to play). You’ll just need to work a bit harder to find all of the power cores. If you want to give it a go, you can find the complete guide to getting orbs in Speedway Spyro 2 in the link below.