The Texas Motor Speedway is one of the most iconic places in the state. It draws visitors from all over the world and is known for its unique blend of nostalgia, excitement, and heartache. If you’ve never been there, then here is a breakdown of what county the track is in, how to get there, and the most popular attractions.
The Dallas County portion of the track is named Deep Ellum. It’s one of the most historic areas in the city, with a rich history of music, clubs, and culture. If you’ve never been there, then here is a breakdown of what it’s like to visit Deep Ellum:
- There are many historic buildings located in Deep Ellum
- The area is full of nightclubs and live music venues
- The ElMeyerhoff Museum of Art is open from Tuesday to Saturday, and on Mondays there is an art walk that starts at 4 p.m.
- You can find anything and everything related to comics, cartoons, and Hollywood movies (and lots of restaurants and bars to match)
- There is an annual Halloween festival called the Deep Ellum Halloween Bash where you can get all the scary masks and decorations you could ever want
- The Dallas Museum of Art is only ten minutes away by foot and is a must-visit if you are in Deep Ellum. It features a diverse collection of art from around the world and is free.
The Fort Worth County portion of the track is named Forks Over Knife Creek. It is home to the annual four-day Fort Worth Festival that takes place each year in September. If you’ve never been there, then here is a breakdown of what it’s like to visit the festival:
- The Fort Worth Stock Show & Rodeo draws people from all over the world
- Besides the rodeo, the stock show features prize fighters, comedians, dancers, and musicians
- Thousands of people attend the Fort Worth Festival every year
- There are over 200 food and drink vendors at the festival
The Harris County portion of the track is named Reliant Park. It is the largest park in the city and is home to the Houston Zoo, which is one of the largest and most beautiful zoos in the United States. If you’ve never been there, then here is a breakdown of what it’s like to visit the zoo:
- There are over 300 animals living in the zoo, including pandas, giant pandas, and orangutans
- It’s over two miles long and features a variety of trails and attractions
- You can take a look at the animals from both above and below, as there are trails that give you a view of the animals from both angles
- There is a section of the park that is made entirely of glass, which provides an ocean view of the adjacent wetlands
- The most popular attractions in the Houston Zoo are the Gorilla World and the Pachyderm Pines Trail
The final portion of the track in Arlington County is named Joe Louis Platz. It is the largest park in the city and is home to several ballfields, a golf course, and the Arlington Museum of Art, which is one of the largest and most popular art museums in the country. If you’ve never been there, then here is a breakdown of what it’s like to visit:
- There are over 200 artworks on display at the Arlington Museum of Art, which is one of the largest art museums in the country
- The museum has a great gift shop and offers a wide variety of art-related items, from inexpensive to high-end
- You can walk, jog, or bike around the park to get to the various attractions
- The Josephine Baker Park is nearby and features an amazing restaurant named Baker’s onsite.
- There is a large number of festivals and events that take place in Platz Park throughout the year, from jazz concerts, to comedy shows, to arts and crafts fairs
As you can see, there are really five different sections of the Texas Motor Speedway: Dallas, Fort Worth, Houston, and two in Arlington. The largest is in Dallas, with over 300 acres. Next up is Fort Worth, which is over 200 acres, followed by Houston, which is almost 180 acres, and then Arlington, which is over 150 acres. Collectively, these parks provide an amazing variety of attractions and activities for all ages, from kids to seniors. There is something here for everyone!
If you’ve never been there, then here is a list of what you should know and expect:
At any time of the year, the temperature in Texas can be somewhat unpredictable, which can make it difficult to decide whether to wear shorts or a long-sleeve shirt. However, there are a few things you can do to make the most of your trip and have fun in the process. One is to check the weather before you go and make sure you are prepared for all types of weather. You can also bring a sweater or jacket, depending on the time of year, if you plan on visiting the park in the winter months. In the summer, you can leave the sweater at home and enjoy swimming or hanging out at the park’s pool. Don’t forget about the climate in Texas when deciding what type of gear to bring, as the weather can vary quite a bit from one part of the state to another.
Be Prepared To Move
While the various attractions at the Texas Motor Speedway are certainly a lot of fun, make sure you are prepared to move around the area if you want to get to all of them. Unless you have a car, public transportation isn’t really an option, as there are no rail lines near the park. You will need to either walk or take a taxi to get between the different spots. The good news is there are a lot of sidewalks and quite a few places where you can park your car for free or at extremely low rates. The bad news is if you want to visit all of the attractions, then this could take a while.
Follow The Rules
As you might guess, there are certain rules and regulations that you need to follow if you want to have a good time at the Texas Motor Speedway. One is that you cannot bring food or drink into the park. You also cannot bring any weapons or drugs, or wear clothing that advertises or promotes alcohol or drugs. There are also some things you need to avoid:
- Trucks, cars, bikes, or anything that has a motor or is motorized
- Glass bottles, plastic bottles, or cans
- Animals or pets (excepting service animals and those wearing masks or other concealing clothing
- Photography or filming, except for those with cameras for a living
Check The Park Website
The best way to find out about upcoming events and activities at the Texas Motor Speedway is to check the park website. It always has accurate information about what is going on throughout the year, including events, concerts, and other activities. Be sure to visit the website a few days before you go so you can ensure you have all the info you need.
Be There Early
If you want to get the best spot in line, then arrive at the park early. If you are using a smartphone app to get directions, then be sure to check the location before you arrive and ensure you find it easily. Once you get there, find a good spot in line and wait patiently for the gates to open. When they do, go through them and show your ticket to the gatekeeper. When you get to the end of the line, go through one more set of gates and you will find a large tent where you can wait for the show to start. Once the show starts, go find a good place to sit and enjoy the spectacle!